Building Services


The Municipality of Port Hope Building Services, reviews permit applications, issues permits, and conducts inspections in accordance with the Ontario Building Code, the Municipality of Port Hope Zoning By-law as well as, other applicable laws and regulations to ensure the standards for construction and plumbing are consistent throughout the Province.

Building Permits regulate the type of construction allowed in our community and ensure that building standards are met. The objective of a building permit is to protect the homeowner as well as the community by ensuring that any structural change is safe, legal, and sound.

You must obtain a building permit before you do any of the following (not limited to this list):

  • construct a new building larger than 108 square feet
  • renovate, repair or add to a building
  • demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
  • change a building's use
  • install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls
  • make new openings for, or change the size of, doors and windows
  • build a garage, balcony or deck or enclose an existing deck
  • build a utility shed over 108 ft2 (10 m2)
  • excavate a basement or construct a foundation
  • install or modify any life safety or fire suppression system such as fire alarms, sprinkler or standpipe or fixed extinguishing systems
  • install or modify heating, plumbing, and air conditioning systems, fireplaces, fireplace inserts and woodstoves
  • install kitchen or bathroom cupboards with plumbing
  • reconstruct a chimney
  • build a roofless deck over two feet (0.61 metres) in height that is not attached to a building
  • to finish a basement or convert a room to a bedroom
  • to install a pool or hot tub
  • erect signage


 You Do Not Need a Permit To:

  • replace existing, same-size doors and windows, subject to distance from property lines
  • install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
  • build a utility shed under 108ft2 (10 m2)
  • reshingle a roof, provided there is no structural work
  • install eavestroughs, provided that drainage is contained on your property
  • paint or decorate
  • reinstall/replace kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
  • erect a fence (except swimming pools and outside hot tubs require permits)
  • electrical work (the Electrical Safety Authority, however, must inspect electrical installations)
Before applying for a building permit you may have to speak to a Planner depending on the scope of work. Please refer to the Planning Department page for more information. 

1. Building Permit Application (Sign, Patio, Pool)

Building Permit for a sign, patio or pool

2. Building Permit Application (Construct or Demolish)

Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish

3. Schedule 1: Designer Information

Schedule 1: Designer Information

4. Schedule 2: Sewage System Installer Information

Schedule 2: Sewage System Installer Information

5. Plumbing Permit

Plumbing Permit

6. Energy Efficiency Design Summary (Prescriptive) Residential

Energy Efficiency Design Summary: Prescriptive Method (Residential)

7. Energy Efficiency Design Summary (Performance) Residential

Energy Efficiency Design Summary (Performance)

Consolidated Fees and Charges.

You can make an application for a building permit:
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Development Team Office
5 Mill Street South
Port Hope, L1A 2S6
Tel: 905.885.2431
Fax: 905.885.0507

Acting Chief Building Official, Municipal Law Enforcement Officer
Mark Perkin, Ext. 2509,

Building Inspector, Municipal Law Enforcement Officer
Steve White, Ext. 2510,

Building Inspector, Municipal Law Enforcement Officer
David McGurrin, Ext. 2508,

Municipal Law Enforcement Officer
Joe Serrao, Ext. 2512,

Municipal Law Enforcement Officer
Pam Hohner, Ext. 2517,

Customer Service Assistant
Amanda Millar, Ext. 2500,