Municipal property tax notices are mailed twice a year and are due in four installments (generally February, April, June and September). Taxes may be paid at the Town Hall Finance Department (56 Queen Street) or the Canton Municipal Office, at most banks in person or via online bankingandthrough enrolling in a preauthorized payment plan. There is also a convenient drop box on the front door of both offices for after-hours payment.
Download the Pre-Authorized Property Tax Payment Plan Enrolment Application Form (pdf 56K)
- To calculate property tax, simply multiply assessed value by the applicable tax rate. Interest is charged on outstanding balances at the rate of 1.25% per month.
- Commercial property class includes all commercial office property, shopping centre property and parking lot property
- Commercial vacant land class includes commercial excess land
- Industrial property class includes all large industrial property
- Industrial vacant land class includes industrial excess land
- Farmlands class includes managed forest