Frequently Asked Questions


To submit a question that is not in this list, contact us at Your question will be replied to directly, and also proposed for addition to this page.

Frequently Requested Telephone Numbers

Administration, Port Hope Town Hall 905.885.4544
Port Hope Fire Department 905.753.2230
Corporate Services/Clerk's Department 905.885.4544
Finance (tax and water) 905.885.4544
Human Resources 905.885.4544
Development Team Office (Planning & Building Services, Works and Engineering) 905.885.2431
Marketing and Tourism 905.885.2004
Port Hope Police (Urban Area) 905.885.8123
Ontario Provincial Police (Rural Area) 1.888.310.1122
Dept. of Parks, Recreation and Culture 905.885.8760
Animal Control 905.885.8092
Chamber of Commerce 905.885.5519
Hydro Services  
Urban Area - Veridian Connections 1.888.420.0070
Rural Area - Hydro One 1.888.664.9376
Jack Burger Sports Complex 905.885.2474
Port Hope Public Library  
Mary J. Benson Branch (31 Queen Street) 905.885.4712
The Hub, 5325 County Rd 10 (former Canton Municipal Office) 905.753.0031
Post Office 905.885.5594
Ruth Clarke Activity Centre 905.885.2228
Tourism 905.885.2004
Town Park Recreation Centre 905.885.7908
Plumbing Inspector/Weed Inspector
(County of Northumberland)
See more information under Services at
Corporate Services 905.885.4544
Fire and Emergency Services 905.753.2230

Corporate Services


Do I live in Ward 1 or Ward 2?
Generally, Ward 1 is the urban area, the part of the Municipality that, prior to amalgamation, formerly known as the Town of Port Hope. Ward 2 is the rural area, the part of the Municipality that was formerly known as the Township of Hope. Ward 1 extends from the Hamilton Road in the east, to just west of the Welcome/Highway 401 off-ramp. The western boundary of the urban area extends approximately in a straight line from that point to the lake. The northern boundary of Ward 1 is Highway 401, and the southern boundary is Lake Ontario. The northern boundary of Ward 2 is the Challice/Eagleson 1st Line Road.

I have a dog; do I need to get a dog tag from the Municipality? If so, how much do they cost?
Yes, all dogs need dog tags. The fee is $20 for a neutered or spayed dog. Non-altered dogs are $35. Dog Tags can be purchased at Town Hall, 56 Queen Street, Port Hope. A rabies vaccination certificate must be presented at the time of purchase. Area veterinarians conduct low-cost rabies vaccination clinics in the spring and fall of each year; watch for information in the local media.

How do I report a lost or found pet?
Contact the Joint Animal Services Program, 905.885.8092, to pick up stray domestic animals. The Joint Animal Services Program, which houses lost and abandoned domestic animals, can be reached at 905.885.7808.

How do I deal with troublesome wildlife (e.g. bats, skunks, raccoons)?
The Joint Animal Services Program does not deal with urban wildlife. For assistance, please contact a local pest control service through the local Yellow Pages which may or may not operate on a fee-for-service basis.

You may also review the Ministry's webpage for more information and  prevention tips. 

How do I contact the MP or MPP?
Port Hope is part of the riding of Northumberland-Peterborough South. Our federal Member of Parliament (MP) is Kim Rudd (Conservative). She can be reached at Tel No: 905.373.4595 or at Email:  Constituency Office:  12 Elgin St. E., Unit 4, COBOURG ON  K9A 0C5.

Our Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) is David Piccini. He can be reached at 905.372.4000.  Constituency Office:  513 Division St., Unit 7, COBOURG ON  K9A 5G6 or Email:

How do I reach HRSDC (Human Resources and Skills Development Canada)?
Reach HRDC at 1.800.O.Canada (1.800.622.6232) or go online to to find information about Service Canada, and benefit programs such as Employment Insurance, Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan and more.

If I have a question about a parking ticket, where do I go?
The office for Municipal Law Enforcement is located at 5 Mill Street South. To reach the Parking Authority call 905.885.2431. You may also pay your parking ticket, with cash, cheque or debit, at the Finance Office at Town Hall, 56 Queen Street. 

I want to operate a lottery/draw/raffle to raise money for a charity or other organization. What do I need to do?
Lottery Licences are obtained from the Municipal Clerk's office. For information on eligibility, licensing fees, legal requirements, reporting requirements, etc., please call the Lottery Licensing Officer for the Municipality of Port Hope at 905.885.4544 Ext. 2201.

I am interested in career opportunities with the Municipality of Port Hope. How do I find current information?
All permanent job vacancies are posted on our Career Opportunities page and advertised in the local newspaper as they become available. Summer jobs for students are posted on the website by February and winter jobs are posted in July. When there are no vacant positions, the 'Job Opportunities' web page will state that.

Visit the Corporate Services Department in the Town Hall at 56 Queen Street, or see the Marketing and Tourism Division at the Capitol Arts Centre, 20 Queen Street. You may also obtain maps of Ward 1 and Ward 2 on the municipal website.

Where do I get a marriage licence / birth certificate?
Information regarding Marriage Licences and Birth Certificates is available on this website or by calling 905.885.4544.

If I start my own company, do I need a Business Licence? Are there any other registrations I must complete?
In Port Hope we do not have a business registry as in some municipalities - our business operations stem from the appropriate zoning and permitted uses within each zone. For example, if you are in a residential zone, you may have a home-based business under certain parameters. Please visit the Development Team Office at 5 Mill Street South and identify the municipal address where you wish to operate a business. Based on the type of business and the address, staff can advise you on types of businesses permitted in that zone.

What special events occur in Port Hope?
Refer to the Port Hope Municipal Calendar or the Tourism website, at we'll show you what's going on in Port Hope on any given day. Other links will help you discover where to stay, added attractions and all kinds of fun.

Fire & Emergency Services


What should I do if I smell gas?
Evacuate your residence and call 911 (Fire Department) from a neighbour's house.

What does it mean if my smoke alarm or CO detector is "chirping"?
If your smoke alarm or CO detector is battery operated, replace the battery. If the smoke alarm continues to chirp, it may be indicating that it needs to be replaced - the sensor may be fatigued. The rule of thumb is that smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years. If the CO detector is chirping, check the manufacturer's instructions - it may be that the model you own gives off a chirp as a low-level warning or it could be it needs to be replaced. The life expectancy of a CO detector is approximately 5 years.

Do I have to have a smoke alarm?
YES - it is the law. Effective March 1, 2006, every level of every home must have a working smoke alarm, in addition one outside the sleeping areas. The fine for failure to have a smoke alarm is $235 (total payable). In addition, the smoke alarm requires some routine maintenance - dust can build up and block the sensors. To alleviate this problem, vacuum the inside of the alarm housing carefully with the soft bristle brush attachment.

What kind of smoke alarm should I purchase?
Essentially, there are two smoke alarm technologies. There is photoelectric, which responds to smouldering fires, and there is ionization, which responds to flaming fires. Confirm that the smoke alarm is UL / ULC listed - it is identified on the packaging and on the sticker on the alarm itself. If you are putting a smoke alarm in your kitchen - always a good idea - it is advisable to select a smoke alarm with a hush feature. This allows you to push a 'hush' button to silence a nuisance alarm, without taking the battery out of the alarm and rendering the alarm useless.

Do I have to have a fire extinguisher?
Even though you are not required by law to have a fire extinguisher in your residence, it is always a good idea.

What kind of Fire Extinguisher should I purchase for my home?
A good general purpose fire extinguish is an ABC. The 'A' is for ordinary combustibles, such as wood and paper; 'B' is for flammable liquids such as cooking grease/oil and gasoline, etc.; 'C' is for electrical fires, such as energized appliances. The fire extinguisher should be mounted in your home close to the room exit, and it should be accessible at all times (nothing blocking it).You should know how to use the fire extinguisher correctly. Again, as with the smoke alarms, ensure the fire extinguishers are UL /ULC listed.

If I'm a tenant, who is responsible for keeping my smoke alarm working?
The Ontario Fire Code states the following: Smoke alarms shall be maintained in operating condition by the owner; The landlord shall provide a copy of the alarm manufacturer's maintenance instructions or approved alternative to the occupant in each rental dwelling unit. However, the Ontario Fire Code also states that 'No person shall intentionally disable a smoke alarm so as to make it inoperable. 'Who can I call to have a fire safety inspection done in my home or business?

You can contact the Fire Department Administration Office by phone 905.753.2230 or by email or by dropping in at the office located at 245 Ontario Street, Fire Station 1. Phone calls and visits must take place during business hours 8:30a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Is open-air burning permitted in the urban area?
There is no open air burning allowed in the urban area without the permission of the Fire Chief or his designate. For more information, please visit our Council Portal to review the By-law

Is open-air burning permitted in the rural area?
Controlled Burn Permits are issued only to owners of properties in the Rural Area or their authorized agents. They are available from the Fire Department Administration Office at Fire Station 1, 245 Ontario Street. Each permit expires on Dec. 31 of that calendar year. There is no burning allowed without a burn permit. For more information on burns and burn permits, please visit our Council Portal to review the by-law.

Planning & Building


Who is the Municipal Law Enforcement Officer for By-Laws?
The Municipality of Port Hope has two designated Municipal Law Enforcement Officers who also serve as Municipal Inspectors. They can be reached at the Development Team Office, 5 Mill Street South, 905.885.2431.

If I want to make any kind of excavation around my property, how do I avoid hitting buried services, such as natural gas, TV cable, electrical wires, water pipes?
Ontario now has a one-call number to locate most services. Ontario One Call, CALL BEFORE YOU DIG: 1.800.400.2255. It's free! Ontario One Call does not locate sewer and water services in Port Hope. Please contact the Development Team office at 905.885.2431 for those locates. In addition, monitoring of soil conditions is done prior to any excavation, at no cost to the homeowner. Contact the building department for information on Port Hope's Construction Monitoring Program.

If your concerns are fire-related, as in, the person(s) in the residence are at risk of fire due to an unreasonable amount of combustibles (hoarding), or are exhibiting unsafe fire practices, then you should notify the Fire Department immediately, as it may constitute an 'Immediate Threat to Life'. Concerns due over health or any unsafe conditions that exist should be directed to the appropriate agencies, such as the Health Unit or the Police.

You must obtain a building permit before you do any of the following (not limited to list):

  • construct a new building larger than 108 square feet
  • renovate, repair or add to a building
  • demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
  • change a building's use
  • install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls
  • make new openings for, or change the size of, doors and windows
  • build a garage, balcony or deck or enclose an existing deck
  • build a utility shed over 108 sq.ft. (10 sq. m.)
  • excavate a basement or construct a foundation
  • install or modify any life safety or fire suppression system such as fire alarms, sprinkler or standpipe or fixed extinguishing systems.
  • install or modify heating, plumbing, and air conditioning systems, fireplaces, fireplace inserts and woodstoves
  • install kitchen or bathroom cupboards with plumbing
  • reconstruct a chimney
  • build a roofless deck over two feet (0.61 m.) that is not attached to a building
  • finish a basement or convert a room to a bedroom
  • install a pool or hot tub
  • erect signage

What other documentation is required when I submit my completed Building Permit Application Form?
You must complete a *Building Permit Application Form as well as provide two hard copies of all applicable drawings, including but not limited to:

  • Site Plan
  • Floor Plans
  • Elevations
  • Sections
  • Details
  • Heating system specifications and floor plans
  • Plumbing detail. (For simple projects, schematics including connections to existing services can be included on your floor plan.)

* Building Permit Application Forms are available at the Municipal Development Team office located at 5 Mill Street South.

What can I do that does not require a Building Permit?

  • replace existing, same-size doors and windows, subject to distance from property lines
  • install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
  • build a utility shed under 108 sq. ft. (10 sq. m.)
  • reshingle a roof, provided there is no structural work
  • install eavestroughs, provided that drainage is contained on your property
  • damp-proof basements
  • paint or decorate
  • reinstall/replace kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing.
  • erect a fence (except swimming pools and outside hot tubs require permits)
  • electrical work (the Electrical Safety Authority, however, must inspect electrical installations)

I want to build a fence; can someone tell me where my property line is?
The Municipality does not provide this service. We recommend you refer to your property survey, or hire a surveyor prior to commencing work.

My next-door neighbours have old abandoned cars and discarded furniture on their property and it is an eyesore; is there anything the Municipality can do?
Our Property Standards By-law prescribes standards for the maintenance and occupancy of property. Please visit our Council Portal to review the by-law or contact the Development Team Office at 905.885.2431 for information.

I rent a property where the furnace is broken. The landlord says he can't afford to fix the furnace now. What should I do? What date is it by law that the landowner must turn on my heat in my rental property?
The Municipal Law Enforcement Officer will come and do a heat reading, then follow up as appropriate. Please contact the Building Services Division at the Municipal Development Team office at 905.885.2431 and they will advise of the date that a landowner must turn on the heat to rental properties.

My neighbour has put up a new above-ground swimming pool, one about 3 feet high, are they required to erect a fence around it?
Yes, no one may excavate for a pool or erect a pool in the Municipality of Port Hope without first obtaining a permit. The By-law requires that all pools be enclosed by a fence of not less than 1.5 metres (5 feet). The fence and gates leading to the pool area must also be built according to the By-law requirements. They must be inspected and approved by the Building Services Division before the pool is filled with water. Please visit our Council Portal to review the fencing by-law.

I would like to open a Bed & Breakfast establishment in the Municipality of Port Hope; what is required?
Learn more about Bed & Breakfast licensing here or visit Town Hall for more information. A completed application must be submitted with the $100.00 licensing fee. Representatives of the Fire Department and the Building Services Division will do an inspection and your license will be issued upon successful completion of the inspections.

Am I allowed to put up a Sandwich Board Sign/Portable Advertising Sign in the Municipality of Port Hope?
Our Sign By-law regulates signs and other advertising devices - A permit must be obtained from the Building Services Division at the Municipal Development Team Office for the erection of a sign. Visit our Council Portal to download the by-law

I own a heritage house/building in Port Hope and would like to restore it. Are there any incentive programs to help me?
Yes. Completed applications and required documentation must be filed prior to the commencement of proposed alterations. Information packages and application forms are available at Town Hall or find the forms here.  The Port Hope Branch of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario (ACO) offers ACO Fund loans for approved projects on designated commercial or residential buildings in Port Hope. Applications are available at Town Hall. For more information contact the ACO at Box 563 Port Hope ON L1A 3Z4 or at Before you begin work on a designated building, you will need a Heritage Permit from the Heritage Port Hope Advisory Committee. Applications are available at the Municipal Development Team office at 5 Mill Street South. Members of Heritage Port Hope can help advise you on building materials, techniques and colours to help retain the flavour, character and value of heritage buildings.

Waste Management


I am a new resident and would like some information about the Garbage/Recycling Program
The County of Northumberland takes care of waste management in Port Hope and across the County.

Municipality of Port Hope residents in the Urban Area have their garbage and recyclables collected on Wednesdays. It is advised that you have your garbage/recyclables to the curb by 7 a.m. Collection is limited to 3 bags of garbage per week which must be tagged with a "wet waste sticker" which are $2.75 each and unlimited recyclables.

Recyclables must be placed loose in clear blue or clear bag or blue box. Cardboard must be flat and tied in 30" x 30" x 10" bundles, shredded paper and plastic bags must be sorted and placed in separate recycling bags.

Garbage must be placed in a bag (max. 75 cm x 95 cm (30" x 38") (max. weight 18kg/40lbs.) or garbage can (max. size 77 litres). All garbage bags must have a garbage tag (77 litre cans require 2 tags), available for purchase ($2.75 each) at the Town Hall or Canton Municipal Office.

Municipality of Port Hope residents of the Rural Area residents do not have curbside pickup. They may use the Hope Transfer Station, located at 4775 5th Line (east of County Rd. 10) for household garbage/recyclables (no limit on the number of bags). The Transfer Station operates on Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Wednesday, 11-7 p.m.; closed Thursday and Sunday.

The Bewdley Transfer Station is located at 7650 County Rd. 19 between County Rd. 28 and County Rd. 18; phone 905.342.2514. Summer Hours from Apr. 1 to Nov. 30 - Monday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Winter Hours: from Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 - Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Bulky Waste - All residents may take bulky waste items to the Bewdley Transfer Station. For more information on free bulky waste vouchers please contact the Northumberland County Waste Management Office at 1.866.293.8379.

Hazardous Waste - The Household Hazardous Waste Depot is located at the Bewdley Transfer Station. For more information on dates and times please contact the Municipal Offices.

My Recycling/Wet Garbage was not picked up this morning, who can I contact?
The County of Northumberland is responsible for all garbage and recycling within the Municipality of Port Hope. Please contact the County Waste Management Office at 1.866.293.8379.

Where do I call to report illegal dumping?
County of Northumberland, 1.866.293.8379 or 905.372.3329 or email stopdumping@county.northumberland.on.caMore information

I have some leaves and brush; does the Municipality offer a pick-up?
The Northumberland County Waste Management program includes seasonal Curbside Leaf and Yard Waste Collection on a monthly basis from April until November. If you have any questions regarding the Curbside Leaf and Yard Waste Collection Program, please contact the County at 1-866-293-8379 or by email at or clicking here and you will be redirected to the County's website. If you want to get rid of brush or leaves in between the monthly pickup dates, you can take the debris to the Bewdley Transfer site where you will be charged /metric tonne.

I have large amounts of mulch/green waste, where can I dispose of it?
You may dispose of compostable items (leaves, brush) at the Bewdley Transfer Site (7650 County Rd 9) where you will be charged /metric tonne. For further information contact the County at 1.866.293.8379 or 905.342.2514 for a current fee schedule. Summer hours are Monday to Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Finance Department


For information regarding your Property Tax, please click here. 

For information regarding your Water and Wastewater Bill, please click here. 

I am preparing my income tax return and need to know how much I paid in property taxes; how do I obtain this information?
The best way to obtain this amount is to keep your Final Property Tax Bill (generally mailed out at the end of May). If a reprint of the bill or statement of account is required, you will need to visit the Finance Department and provide proof that you are the property owner. Upon receipt of proper identification, a statement of account will be provided. There is a $10 administration charge for this service as per our Fees and Charges By-law. 

How much does the Municipality charge for a Water Certificate and/or a Tax Certificate?
Water and Tax Certificates are administered by the Finance Department upon written request. The cost of a Water Certificate is $30.00 and the cost of a Tax Certificate is $40.00, as per our Fees and Charges By-law. 

Works and Engineering


Does the Port Hope Public Transit bus go to Cobourg?
Yes, it leaves from the Transit Hub located beside the Town Hall, 56 Queen Street every travels to the Northumberland Mall, Walmart and Northumberland Hills Hospital.

The bus makes a number of convenient stops around the urban area of Port Hope. For information and schedules, visit Town Hall, 56 Queen Street, or the Municipal Development Team office at 5 Mill Street South, where you may also buy bus passes and/or tickets.

Find the Transit schedule online

Port Hope's Specialized Transit Service

The Municipality of Port Hope is pleased to provide the ROLLS service to eligible patrons who are unable to utilize regular public transit. Please see the Transit links on the municipal website for further details and the ROLLS application form.

For information on ROLLS for riders with mobility issues, call the Works & Engineering Department at the Municipal Development Team Office at 905.885.2431.

Some streets are signed as snow routes; what does this mean for parking purposes?
There is no parking on designated snow routes between Dec. 1 and March 15 from 2 am to 7 am. A complete listing of snow routes is available from the Municipal Development Team Office at 905.885.2431 or refer to By-law 39/2008, as amended on the website under Traffic and Parking By-law for additional information.

If a neighbouring property is overrun with noxious weeds, where do I turn for help?
Noxious weeds (including but not limited to goat's beard, chicory, thistles, ragweed, poison ivy and wild carrot) must be destroyed by June 1 of each and every year and throughout the season. The Municipality may enter upon non-compliant lands to destroy noxious weeds or weed seeds, charging the costs against the landowner through the property tax bill authorized by the Weed Control Act. Dandelions, burdock and goldenrod are not considered noxious weeds under the Weed Control Act. Contact the Weed Inspector through the County of Northumberland) 905.372.3329. See more information under Services at

Our municipal road has potholes, needs grading, needs sweeping, snow plowing, ditching, etc.
For any concern regarding road maintenance, please call the Works & Engineering Department at the Municipal Development Team Office (905.885.2431) and staff will create a work order to have the necessary work done. Grading of gravel roads takes place several times throughout the year to remove potholes and washboard conditions. Calcium chloride is used once or twice per year throughout the spring and summer to control dust along gravel roads.

The Municipal Development Team Office is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding holidays; where do I call after hours?
For after-hours emergency assistance regarding Water works, Sewer and Roads Operations, please call 905.885.2431 and press "2" when prompted. Our Contact Centre Agents at T.A.S. Communications will be very pleased to assist you.  Or if it is not an emergency, you can leave a message and staff will return your call on the next business day.

Water has come up through the drain in my basement floor; what should I do?
This may be a sewer back-up.  Contact the Works & Engineering Department at the Municipal Development Team Office and staff will check the main to see if the main is flowing properly. If necessary, staff will advise the property owner to call a plumber to clear blockage on private property. During regular working hours, call 905.885.2431 and on evenings and weekends call 905.885.2431 and press "2" when prompted. Our Contact Centre Agents at T.A.S. Communications will be very pleased to assist you. 

The water pressure in my house was fine, but suddenly it has dropped; what can I do?
Call the Works & Engineering Department at the Municipal Development Team Office and staff will check to see if a break has occurred in your water supply pipe. If so, staff can determine whether the break is on municipal property or private property. If it is on municipal property, it is a municipal responsibility. If it is on private property, you will need the services of a plumber.  For after-hours emergency assistance, please call 905.885.2431 and press "2" when prompted. Our Contact Centre Agents at T.A.S. Communications will be very pleased to assist you.  Or if it is not an emergency, you can leave a message and staff will return your call on the next business day.

What should I do if I think the branches of a municipally owned tree appear to be a hazard?
Call the Works & Engineering Department at the Municipal Development Team Office if a tree appears to be dead or has hazardous-looking branches and a work order will be created. Staff will determine if this is a municipally owned tree, and if so, the issue is taken to the monthly meeting of the Tree Advisory Committee to determine what maintenance is necessary. If there is a concern over removal of a Municipal tree, the Municipal Development Team Office may obtain an assessment from an arborist.

When are trees removed?
If the tree is deemed to be an immediate danger, staff will have this tree assessed and branches or the entire tree removed as quickly as possible. There is also a tree replacement program within the municipality to ensure a tree is planted or a tree removed, not necessarily planted in the same location.

How can I tell who owns a tree?
The supervisor or homeowner providing a survey will determine whether a tree is a municipally or privately owned tree. Call the Works & Engineering Department at the Municipal Development Team Office at 905.885.2431 and a work order will be created.  Staff will assess the location of the tree in question. If the tree is determined to be a municipal tree, the Municipality will maintain the tree. Homeowners are responsible for trees on private property.

How do I get a boulevard tree? What if my boulevard tree appears to be dying? My boulevard tree has insects - how can I get rid of them?
Contact the Works & Engineering Department at the Municipal Development Team Office and a work order will be prepared.  Staff will investigate.  Matters concerning Municipal trees are taken to the monthly meeting of the Tree Advisory Committee to determine what action, if any, is appropriate.   Note: homeowners are responsible for trees on private property.

Where do I call when street lights or traffic lights are not working?
Call the Works & Engineering Department at the Municipal Development Team Office if you notice a street light is out or cycling. Be sure to provide the pole number and/or address location of the problem and/or nearest intersection.  Staff prepares a repair listing that will be sent to its contractor for action.  Please allow 2-3 weeks for repair of street lights.

Who is responsible for snow removal?
By-law 52/97 being a By-law Respecting the Removal of Snow & Ice, as amended, requires all owners of property and occupants of a building to clear the sidewalk in front of, alongside, or at the rear of the property as often as required.

When clearing the snow from driveways and sidewalks, no person shall in any way cause snow, ice or any combination thereof to be shovelled, pushed or blown, either deliberately or accidentally, on a road of sidewalk.

Complaints about snowy sidewalks may be reported to the Works & Engineering Department at the Municipal Development Office at 905.885.2431.  An owner and/or occupant of a building may be contacted by the Works & Engineering Department regarding contravention of the Snow & Ice Removal By-law and if such contravention continues after such request to clear the snow and/or ice, the Enforcement Officer may have the clearance and removal of the snow and ice done at the Owner's expense and recover the costs incurred to clear and remove such snow and ice.

In some areas, ice and/or snow buildup on roofs may create a hazard for sidewalk pedestrians and motorists.To warn pedestrians of the danger of overhead ice and/or snow, you may contact the Works & Engineering Department to obtain temporary construction barriers. Please be advised, the barriers will not protect you, the owner of the building, from liability.  You should contact a contractor to safely remove hazardous ice and snow overhang and install measures to prevent further build-up of such.

Review By-law 52/97 here. 

Town Park Recreation Centre


What day camp opportunities are available for my child(ren)?
Day camp is available based out of the Town Park Recreation Centre for children aged 4-12 years on school holidays. This includes PA days, non-stat holidays, Christmas, March and Summer Breaks. Day camp hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Please register at the Town Park Recreation Centre.

Is there financial assistance available for day camp programs?
If you are faced with financial barriers and would like your child to have a great camp experience, please contact the Program Coordinator at the Town Park Recreation Centre, to discuss assistance options. The Municipality of Port Hope, Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture has a service-provider agreement with Northumberland County Children Services, which can be accessed for those in receipt of Ontario Works Child Care Benefit.

What programs are available for my child with special needs?
The Municipality of Port Hope, Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture invites people of all abilities to participate together in our programs and services. We strive to include everyone in the activities of an individual's choice to enhance the quality of life for all. All children are encouraged to participate in activities that are designed to challenge them. In our day camp program, we have designated resource staff on hand to assist campers when needed and to adapt activities to suit the needs of the children.

What is the "Opportunities for Youth" Youth Centre?
The "Opportunities for Youth" Youth Centre is located at the Town Park Recreation Centre and consists of the Dutch Brown Kinsmen Youth Lounge, games room and computer lab. Youth may participate in non-structured and structured programs. Please refer to the Leisure Guide (at, look under Resident Services and scroll down to Leisure Guide) for current Youth Centre hours of operation and program schedules.

How can volunteer with the Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture?
The Youth Coordinator meets and screens all volunteers for the Department. Please contact the Youth Coordinator to discuss volunteer options. Volunteer opportunities include but are not limited to day camp and program activities, maintenance at department facilities, program planning and promotions, youth centre supervision, aquatic leadership development and more.

Parks Department and Marina

How do I book a sports field?
Contact our Parks/Recreation Staff

How can I book a community event?
Contact our Special Events Coordinator at 905.885.2004

Can we have a birthday party at the Town Park Recreation Centre?
There are a number of different birthday party packages you can book. Birthday party packages include a program staff person to work with you to run activities. Birthday parties are available on weekends and are booked on a first-come, first-served basis.

Can I sell alcohol at my tournament or event?
You must fill out a special events application that must be approved by council - contact the Special Events Coordinator for all application information at 905.885.2004.

Can I have a barbecue at my tournament or event?
You must obtain the proper approvals from the health unit - the Special Events Coordinator can assist you with all application forms/information 905.885.2004.

Town Park Centre, 62 McCaul Street - 905.885.7908

Schedule of Ice and Pool - Jack Burger Sports Complex, 60 Highland Drive - 905.885.2474

Ruth Clarke Activity Centre, 81 Mill Street South - 905.885.2228

9 hydro sites available, for more information contact the Harbour Master at 905.885.7981.

Yes, south of the CNR railway overpass, fishing is available year-round. You can refer to the Ministry of Natural Resources Website for regulations,

Visit the Recreation and Leisure pages for information on all Municipal facilities

Location of Municipal Offices

To contact any of our municipal offices or facilities, visit our home page under Municipal Departments.
For General inquiries, please contact Town Hall at 905.885.4544