Port Hope Elections Dashboard
Visit the Port Hope Election Dashboard for quick facts about the most recent election, a breakdown of the votes for each position, a detailed analysis of the voting behaviour as a whole, a countywide comparison and historical elections information.
In accordance with section 88.23 of the Municipal Elections Act, a candidate(s) that failed to file by the relevant deadline is/are in default. Please see the Notice of Default for candidate(s) that are in default
Third Party Advertiser
Southbridge Healthcare Inc.
An elector who is concerned about a candidate's election finances and wishes to challenge them can file a compliance audit.
Application for an Election Compliance Audit
What steps do I take if I have a concern about a candidate's election campaign finances?
1. Contact the Municipal Clerk and see if further information can be provided that answers your questions or concerns.
2. If you believe that a candidate's election campaign finances contravened the Municipal Elections Act, submit a written letter of application to the Municipal Clerk for a compliance audit. See "How do I apply for a compliance audit?" below.
What is a compliance audit?
A compliance audit is an audit of a candidate's election campaign finances and their compliance with the provisions of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 related to election campaign finances.
What is the Joint Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee?
The powers and functions of the Committee are set out in the Municipal Elections Act, 1996. The Joint Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee for the Municipality of Port Hope and Northumberland County Partner Municipalities consists of five members and does not include employees or officers of the municipality, members of the council, or any persons who were candidates in the election for which the committee is established. The Committee holds the same term of office as council.
The Committee will:
• Within 30 days of receiving the compliance audit written letter of application, consider whether an application should be granted or rejected.
• If the application is granted, appoint an auditor to conduct a compliance audit of the candidate's election campaign finances.
• Receive the auditor's report.
• Within 30 days of receiving the auditor's report, consider the report and decide whether legal proceedings should begin or make a finding whether there were reasonable grounds for the application.
• Recommend to Port Hope Council whether or not to pursue the recovery of the costs of conducting the compliance audit from the applicant if the auditor's report indicates there were no apparent contraventions and if it appears there was no reasonable ground for the application.
Click here to view By-law 59/2018 being a By-Law to Establish a Joint Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee for The Corporation of The Municipality of Port Hope and Northumberland County Partner Municipalities.
How do I apply for a compliance audit?
• Submit the attached application requesting a compliance audit and deliver your written information with original signature to the Municipal Clerk within 90 days of the candidate's filing date.
• Mail or deliver your request for a compliance audit to:
Municipality of Port Hope
56 Queen Street
Port Hope On L1A 3Z9
In accordance with section 81(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, all applications must be received by the Municipal Clerk within 90 days after the latest of:
1. The filing date under section 78;
2. The candidate's supplementary filing date, if any, under section 78;
3. The filing date for the final financial statement under section 79.1; or
4. The date on which the candidate's extension, if any, under section 80(4) expires.
The Municipal Clerk will, within 10 days of receiving the completed applications, forward them to the Joint Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee for consideration.
What if the auditor's report finds that there was no apparent contravention of the Act?
Based on the auditor's report and if the Committee finds that there were no reasonable grounds for the application, Council is entitled to recover the auditor's costs from the applicant.
Use of Corporate Resources for Election Purposes Policy
Municipality of Port Hope e-voting Policy
Municipal Election Sign Information 2018
Municipal Election Accessibility Plan
Download the 2018 Election Guides from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs
Third Party Advertiser Guide
School Board Trustee Candidate Guide
Elections scolaires 2018
Rapport distribution nombre conseillers
© 2020 Port Hope | All Rights Reserved
Designed & Developed by Chimpanzee