Image of Bartender pouring a beer

Businesses within the Municipality of Port Hope who wish to serve alcohol must follow the requirements that have been established for our municipality.

Liquor licensing

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) is responsible for administering the Liquor Licence Act and specific sections of the Liquor Control Act, which together, with the regulations made under them, establish the licensing and regulatory regime for most aspects relating to the sale and service of alcohol in Ontario.  

How do I apply for a liquor licence?

The AGCO will require letters of approval from the building department, fire prevention officer and the public health department. To get started complete the following form:

Application for liquor licence

Include a seating plan of all indoor and/or outdoor areas with your application.

What happens next?

You must contact each department to schedule an inspection of the premises

Jacqueline Hill-Bower
Fire Administration Office
245 Ontario Street
Port Hope, ON L1A 2V9
Email this contact

Building Services
Development Team Office
5 Mill Street South
Port Hope ON L1A 2S6
Email Us

Health Unit
Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District
200 Rose Glen Road
Port Hope ON L1A 3V6

Following the inspections, each department will return an approval letter to you which you will submit to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission. 

Municipal information form

Sometimes the Alcohol and Gaming Commission asks for an additional form called a Municipal Information Form that must be signed by the municipal clerk's office. If you require that form please contact the building department.

Special occasion permit

A special occasion permit is required any time alcohol is offered for sale anywhere other than in a licensed establishment. 

Special occasion permits are made online through the iAGCO portal. 

For more information visit Planning an event